Good wedding entertainment is the key to a successful wedding celebration. How do you choose the appropriate entertainment for your wedding planning
? The good news is, whether you choose a band vs a wedding DJ
, or vice versa, you really can’t go wrong.
Cost is typically the deciding factor when choosing between a band and a DJ. Although prices will vary, a good wedding DJ can cost between $600.00 and $1200.00, and a good, live band can cost between $1500.00 and $10,000.00.
If finances are not an issue, and you still don’t know which one to choose, here are some things you may want to consider before making your final decision:
- Bands are typically “showier” than a wedding DJ. Since there are several band members, there is someone that each of your guests can identify with and watch. Bands also have a nice visual outlook because they are performing.
- Bands do have a couple of limitations. Most bands have a limited repertoire of music, so if you want musical selections that span generations or genres, you may have a hard time finding one band that does it all.
- Bands also typically take breaks. This can cause the party to grind to a halt. Some bands will bring a DJ with them; others will put on a CD to play while they are off stage. Make sure you know which one your band will do and that you are confident that your party won’t die while the band is on break.
- wedding DJs can bring thousands of music selections with to a wedding. If you want a wide variety of music, a DJ may be the best choice for you. Some couples prefer to hear their favorite songs by the original artists rather than another band’s interpretation. Once again, a DJ would be the proper choice.
- wedding DJs can lack some of the “wow factor” that a band has because they don’t have several entertainers performing, but many DJs make up for that by having fun props and routines that they use.
- Whichever form of entertainment you choose, make sure to have a good contract and check references. When it comes to hiring a band, see if you can check out their performance in person. When you hire a DJ, make sure you like his (or her) personality. Make sure that the entertainer you choose knows how to perform at a wedding. He should be familiar with the activities that take place throughout the evening and he should feel comfortable leading your guests through those activities. Communicate with your entertainers about the type of music you like and the ambiance you would like for your reception. Put in writing any specific songs you would like to hear and give them an agenda to follow for the evening.
The most important thing you can do to ensure a successful wedding reception is to relax and enjoy your wedding. Whether you hire a band vs wedding DJ
, or aDJ vs a live band, make sure to get out on the dance floor and have fun!