The story of The Castle begins shortly before the turn of the 20 th century, when General Howard Carroll purchased the land as a home for his growing family. Carrollcliffe, the name appropriately given to Carroll’s castle on the cliff, was built in two stages between 1897 and 1910. Working with prominent New York architect Henry Kilburn, Carroll actively assisted in planning The Castle in a style reminiscent of Norman fortification in Wales, Scotland and Ireland. The finished castle boasted 45 rooms. From the beginning, the Oak Room, historic in its own right, served as the family dining room. Legend has it that the room’s wainscoting was brought over to Tarrytown from General Carroll’s house in St. Germain, outside Paris. Louis XIV had given this house to James II when he fled to France after having been deposed in England. It was in this room that James’ grandson Prince Charles Edward (“Bonnie Prince Charles”) and Angus MacDonald, representing the Scottish highlanders, plotted the unsuccessful uprising of 1745 in the British Isles to overturn the German king and restore the lineage of James II. Born in Albany, N.Y. in 1854, Howard Carroll was educated in Albany, New York City, Hanover and Gottingen in Germany, and Geneva, Switzerland. His first and longest position was with The New York Times, where he served as the Washington D.C. correspondent, befriending such leaders as Presidents Ulysses S. Grant and James Garfield. After refusing several official appointments in the Chester Arthur administration, Carroll wrote several plays, including The American Countess, which ran for 200 nights on Broadway. He also authored two books. General and Mrs. Carroll figured prominently in Westchester County and New York City society. They entertained frequently and on a grand scale. During the Hudson Fulton Tercentennial Celebration of 1909 Carroll, considered a gourmet and connoisseur of rare wines, particularly from the Rhine and Moselle regions, hosted every officer from the German fleet stationed in the Hudson River region. Included among the invited guests were foreign dignitaries and ambassadors who viewed the great river regattas from the Castle terrace.Perhaps it was such large gatherings that convinced the Carrolls to expand their castle. A newaddition completed in 1910, provided the Great Hall as the new dining room, an adjacent pantry, a formal ballroom, and additional servants’ quarters, garage and stables. Following General Carroll’s death in 1916, his widow and children, Caramai, Arthur and Lauren, occupied The Castle until 1940, when it was rented for a brief period to a local school. As a military man, General Carroll would undoubtedly have approved of The Castle’s use during World War II. The roof and 75 foot tower were partly enclosed, and served as a sighting and listening post for use by the Tarrytown Civil Defense to monitor air traffic in the area, with volunteers serving three hour shifts around the clock. During the late 1950’s, a new use was found for the tower, and an annual tradition born. Each winter during the holidays, a 10-foot, 90-pound star filled with 80 white lights was erected high on The Castle tower, visible for miles. This warm tradition was reinstated in 1997. In 1981, the town of Tarrytown designated The Castle a historic landmark, protecting the outside structure from ever being changed. The Carroll family owned and occupied The Castle until 1940. After a year as a boy’s boarding school, the property served as the headquarters of a highly respectable investment counseling business before becoming a luxury hotel. Today’s vision for The Castle is one that will recreate the former glory days of Carrollcliffe as the site for memorable stays and glorious meals in sumptuous surroundings. The restoration of The Castle’s original suites, which offer spectacular views inside and out, and the creation of the new 24- room addition named Carrollcliffe is a salute to its proud heritage. Bringing The Castle fully up to date are recent innovations including a state-of-the-art fitness center, a heated outdoor pool and tennis court. These and many other features enable The Castle to continue making history in the 21st century.