Silk Mill formerly known as Landon House or Stancioff House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Originally built in 1754 along the Rappahannock River in Virginia, it was dismantled and shipped to it's current location in the heart of Urbana, Maryland where it has gracefullly stood since 1846. The home was used as a resting point for both Union and Confederate soldiers during the civil war. Their famous "Lightning Sketches" were discovered and preserved by members of the Stancioff family and will be a point of interest on display in our Lincoln Room. Another notable event was the Sabres and Roses Ball which took place in the summer of 1862 just before the battle of Antietam.General James E. B. Stuart and the 1st Calvary of the Army of Northern Virginia, under new commander General Robert E. Lee, set up headquarters on the Landon House grounds. As a gesture of appreicaton General Suart held a community dance at Landon to celebrate the army's arrival in Maryland. The house is currently undergoing a complete renovation and restoration and will host Weddings, Corporate and Social Events beginning in the Summer of 2015. Contact us now for information and reservations.
Frederick , MD 21704
to Add This vendor to Your Favorites