By Guest blogger: Michelle Harris from Just Marry!
We all love gorgeous weddings, but what I love even more are beautiful weddings full of meaning. It’s so wonderful when a couple chooses colors or themes because they actually mean something and tell their story. Such was the case with Courtney and Rey, who were married in June, 2013 at Race in Religious in New Orleans.
This venue is a blank canvas, so we were able to adorn it with many details and personal decorations. However, its own character definitely shined through as an eclectic and enchanting space. Arte de Vie Photography did an outstanding job at expressing the feeling of this day and the tone the couple wanted to set.
The groom’s family is from Cuba, and the bride loved their culture so much that she decided to make it their theme. This meant so much to their family! Their wedding also touched me because my family is from Cuba, and that is what this wedding was all about – recreating vintage Havana at its finest.
Some of the stories and descriptions of Cuba told to me by family really came true as I worked this event. Unfortunately, I haven’t had the chance to visit Cuba yet, but the atmosphere of this wedding completely brought me there. All of my senses were influenced…the blend of smells from Cuban coffee meeting Cuban cigars, the nostalgic taste of classic, traditional Cuban cuisine, the bright, colorful floral and decor, and the sound of bongos playing in the background. If I closed my eyes, I could have sworn I was really in Cuba!
Here are some of my favorite details from this wedding:
1. Maracas were used to celebrate their first kiss as husband and wife, and also served as their guests’ souvenirs.
2. The couple set aside a rustic, secluded room for Cuban cigar smoking.
3. Another hideaway was used by guests to create their very own “Dark and Stormy,” a Cuban-inspired cocktail.
4. Palm trees and authentic Cuban music transported guests to a tropical oasis.
5. As the sun began to set, festive and romantic string lights lit up the night.
This is the closest to Cuba I will get for now. I’m so happy Courtney and Rey’s big day left special moments not only in this couples’ heart, but also in mine. I’m still Havana daydreaming about this wedding!