If you’ve ever dreamed of having your wedding featured in a magazine, there are some things you need to know. Here are our tips to get you started:
1. Don’t submit carelessly. Magazines prefer to feature weddings that are exclusive to them. Avoid filling out multiple different submission forms and wait to hear back from each one before attempting another. We recommend that you start with the magazine you enjoy most.
2. Review the submission guidelines. Editors may dismiss your submission outright if it doesn’t adhere to their submission guidelines. Show your respect for the magazine by following their rules.
3. Submit to the right magazine. Don’t waste your time by submitting your wedding to magazines that don’t typically feature weddings like yours. Know the audience and submit accordingly.
4. Be sure to ask your photographer. You’ll need to get a written release from your wedding photographer granting you and the magazine the right to reprint the images.
5. Pick the best photos. Once you have the photographer’s permission, narrow down your photo choices to those that best highlight your wedding’s details. Check the magazine’s guidelines on the number of photos you can submit.
6. Tell a compelling tale. Good stories sell, so magazines are looking for the best of the best. Share as many juicy details as you can about the wedding, you and your spouse, and anything else you think they might find interesting.
7. Keep it simple. Magazines don’t generally feature overly enhanced images with a bunch of special effects. Keep your photos clean and simple.
8. Always be polite. You may not hear from the magazine for a couple of months, so don’t e-mail them every other day asking if they received your submission. Most magazines will share their average length of time to review submissions. Be courteous and wait until that time has passed to follow up.
If you have any other tips for couples wishing to submit their weddings to magazines, please share them with us in the comments.
Photo Credit: Chelsea Nicole