Photo Credit: Fotograf Emelie Petré
It’s very easy to get caught up in the excitement of planning your wedding but it’s so important to remember why you are planning the wedding. Your relationship also needs to be tended.
- Don’t let wedding planning take over your relationship. Make time for fun dates to keep the romance alive. There’s more to life AFTER the wedding so make sure to focus on that too.
- Discuss difficult issues before the wedding. All couples should seek premarital counseling whether your religion requires it. There are many issues that may have never come up in discussion before and it’s better to have these talks now. Part of marriage is knowing how to work out your problems together as well as disagree productively.
- You cannot read each other’s minds. If you need or want something to be done, just ask in a kind manner.
- Don’t try to change each other. Wedding planning can bring out a new level of stress as well as personality traits that you never expected. Always remember why and how you fell in love with each other and let go of the quirks that get under your skin.
- Set priorities for planning the wedding. There’s a lot of stress that can come along with wedding planning. Sit down and discuss what’s important to you both and the timeline you need to get everything organized and booked.
- Don’t share everything about your wedding plans on social media. You may be super excited about something extra special you have planned or the vendor you just booked but keep it about you and your fiancee. Sharing on social media often opens for numerous questions, unsolicited advice, self-invited guests and hurt feelings along with extra stress on your part.
- Learn each other’s love language and then learn to speak it. You can find out your love language at: http://www.5lovelanguages.com/
- Understand that each of you will evolve as an individual over the years. Your opinions and beliefs may change. Keep your conversations going and share experiences so even when you are growing individually, you are also growing as a couple.
- Most of all, don’t forget to have fun! It’s so easy to get caught up in the rush of wedding planning. Although this a very important time in your life, the day will be over before you know it. So take time to enjoy it and don’t sweat over the stuff that won’t matter so much in 10 years from now.