One wedding photography trend that’s gaining popularity is the engagement session. There are a number of reasons for taking advantage of an engagement photo session prior to your wedding. First, this type of photo session is the best opportunity for some great romantic and fun images you will enjoy for years to come.
Second, engagement photo sessions are a good way for you to get to know your photographer, and more importantly, for your photographer to get to know you. This is because a good photographer will use the knowledge of the engagement session to perfect the wedding day photos. For instance the photographer may realize the bride has a nervous habit or the groom has deep set eyes. By the time of the wedding day, the photographer will know tricks from the engagement session on how to loosen up the bride, or which camera angles to lighten up the grooms’ eyes.
After you and your groom have decided on the photographer to use for your engagement session, don't just prepare for the shoot by making the appointment. Prepare for the session like it is a very crucial part of the wedding expedience. Here are some helpful hints to get you ready for your day in front of the camera.
1. Wear solid colored clothing versus stripes, florals or logos. The object is for your faces to be the star of the show. When someone looks at your engagement photos you want them to see the love in your faces, not the unusual flower print.
2. Coordinating attire is a must. For example, if you are wearing light colored jeans do not put your groom in dark colored jeans. Plus, you should try to match your tops as much as possible.
3. If you are wearing a dress, your groom should wear a complimentary shirt or tie. Accessories are also a good way to let your personality shine through clothing.
4. Hair and makeup should be considered, but do not go overboard with product. Your hair and makeup should appear soft and natural for the camera.
5. If you have a dark or pale complexion, stay away from contrasting colors (whites and blacks). The contrast makes the facial features less defined.
6. Practice your favorite type of smile. We all have different smile some we like some not so much. Know which one you like.
7. Engagement photo sessions take about 90 minutes to complete. You should be allowed an outfit or shirt change and you should have a few different backgrounds/set changes. Bring props if you have them to make the shoot more personable.
-- Diana Ard is one of the owners of Absolutely Perfect Pictures, a husband and wife photography team based in Katy, Texas, specializing in wedding photography, engagements and family portraits.